Pages

About us

Robert is a computer 'geek' and I say that in the most affectionate way possible! He keeps our home network up and running. Right now he works for Convergys in Orem in their technical support department for Netapp. Rob has the most common sense out of anyone I've ever met. He also is one of the most 'creative' people I have EVER known. Within minutes of getting a 'new toy' he's got it taken apart figuring out how to 'maximize' it's potential.

Heather is a 'die hard' animal lover. Rob is VERY tolerant of her zoo. Right now she has 6 cats, 2 dogs, 5 birds, 1 RES Turtle, 1 Betta Fish, 1 Tank of guppies (see The Thompson Zoo) for more about their daily adventures. Rob is very understanding, and coming from a background of not really an animal lover other than birds, he's quite taken with them :) Heather works full time for her father at Camelot Pet Resort, Spa & Health Center in Bountiful, she is the Manager and Veterinary Technician. Heather is also an Independant Representative for several direct sales companies, she offers Gourmet Food, Scrapbooking, Pet Supplies, Candles and Natural Home Care products.

Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Natural Medicine?

As many of you who know me know, I have a lot of different health issues (PCOS, Arthritis, Gastric Reflux (GERD), Allergies, SEVERE Dry Skin & more), anyways I was looking for a new Dr here in Lehi, and called one that my insurance was good with, they told me the next opening wasn't until February with the Dr but their Nurse Practitioner (her hubby) could get me in sooner. BUT they were a more Alternative/Natural Medicine Philosphy. So I weighed my decision and decided what the heck, I already take a bazillion supplements so why not give it a try!

Wow! I was SOOOOOOO impressed! They took a THOROUGH history of all the medications/supplements I'm taking right now, then the Nurse Practitioner spent OVER AN HOUR with me going over my issues, the different meds I currently take, and supplements, what to change, what to discontinue and what to add, as well as doing a full blood panel with some vitamin levels as well. He also informed me of the risks of the GERD drug Prevacid I take, it depletes your calcium as well as you become 'addicted' to it because it stops you from forming acid, so therefore if you ever try and go off of it, you produce acid in WAY EXCESS....so we are trying to wean me off of it using Licorice Root (DGHL) on an alternating day schedule. So far the Licorice Root seems to be working GREAT. EVEN with the Prevacid I am BAD Refluxy right now no matter what, and the Licorice Root seems to be helping and can be taken every 15 minutes with no side effects if needed. It just upsets me as my Dr nor Pharmacist has EVER mentioned the problems with the Prevacid.

Then I am adding some 'mood' supplements as soon as we can afford them ($65/month), and added a cheaper one that will help with my Mood issues. We also scheduled an appt in 3 weeks for a followup/discuss results of the bloodwork (my previous Dr I have to call and BEG the results out of them!). He is also going to send me a copy of all results. He thinks that if I lose weight, a lot of my issues will be lessened/dissappear, which is true as a lot of them are aggravated by weight loss, he also commended me on the weight loss so far. I also added a steroid inhaler as if you have to use the rescue one more than once or twice a week you should have that one too. And discontinuing a nose spray that my other Dr put me on as it causes Reverse Congestion. I am doing saline rinses instead now. I feel somewhat better

Although he did tell me that my issues would probably be pretty bad for a while until we got things stabilized going off of some of the drugs/supplements so it's gonna be a rough ride, but I think it will be worth it! SORRY if TMI for people, I know some people have some similar issues so wanted to try and be 'helpful'. Let me know if you have any questions.

No comments: