Pages

About us

Robert is a computer 'geek' and I say that in the most affectionate way possible! He keeps our home network up and running. Right now he works for Convergys in Orem in their technical support department for Netapp. Rob has the most common sense out of anyone I've ever met. He also is one of the most 'creative' people I have EVER known. Within minutes of getting a 'new toy' he's got it taken apart figuring out how to 'maximize' it's potential.

Heather is a 'die hard' animal lover. Rob is VERY tolerant of her zoo. Right now she has 6 cats, 2 dogs, 5 birds, 1 RES Turtle, 1 Betta Fish, 1 Tank of guppies (see The Thompson Zoo) for more about their daily adventures. Rob is very understanding, and coming from a background of not really an animal lover other than birds, he's quite taken with them :) Heather works full time for her father at Camelot Pet Resort, Spa & Health Center in Bountiful, she is the Manager and Veterinary Technician. Heather is also an Independant Representative for several direct sales companies, she offers Gourmet Food, Scrapbooking, Pet Supplies, Candles and Natural Home Care products.

Tuesday, November 11, 2008

What is a natural Dr?

In layman's terms, they tend to lean more towards diet/exercise adjustments as well as 'neutraceuticals' instead of 'pharmaceuticals'. Rob calls them a 'witch' Dr. but I don't think they are. His comments on my loving my new Dr is "Of course you love them, you're the supplement queen." Yes I take a LARGE handful of vitamins/supplements each day/night but I know they help me (glucosamine/chondroitin, vit e, flax oil, fish oil, vit c, prenatal vitamins (in case we do get preggers), Magnesium, vit d....yah the list goes on but I know they help me. When I don't take the glucosamine I can feel a difference. I think they also help my energy levels etc. I do a lot of research on the internet, and a lot of the 'supplements' I take for more than one of my list of ailments, such as the PCOS, Arthritis and Depression ones tend to help other ailments besides the main one.

The difference I've noted is instead of saying "You have allergic rhinitis, maybe I should add a steroidal nose spray that's addicting and if you stop it it makes it 10 times worse" They say
"You have allergic rhinitis, I would recommend that you flush your sinuses with a saline solution twice a day" I haven't been told that by ANY of the Dr's I've gone too, not even the ENT I went too. Guess what I'm 10 times better since I've been doing that. Or even telling me about the fact that Prevacid (Gastric Reflux Drug) causes Osteoporosis. I've been on it almost every day for the past 3 years. NOT a good thing!

To explain more about what a 'natural' Dr is, I'm going to 'borrow' what is in my Dr's brochure/website:

Our Approach:
The human body is capable of healing itself if given the proper direction. This is accomplished by supplying missing biochemical intermediates (usually derived from nutrients) and avoiding interfering substances.

The increasing amounts of toxins in our environment (food, water, air) act as interrupters in our bodies and are primary contributors to the heavy burden of chronic disease in our society.

We believe that patentable pharmaceuticals act to block normal physiological pathways in a variety of ways, producing changes in symptoms. Sometimes these effects are needed for acute problems. However, because drugs are foreign to the body and do not support normal physiological pathways, they do not lead to true healing.

We focus on the contributions of 7 factors related to health which may need to be balanced or corrected.

  1. Nutrient sufficiency
    We want to make sure the body has the raw materials to heal, and that nothing is missing. This includes adequate protein, essential fatty acids, vitamins, minerals, enzymes, oxygen and pure water.

  2. Muscle strength
    Loss of muscle mass as we age has the highest correlation to declining health. Exercise is indispensable.

  3. Neurotransmitter balance
    The loss of this balance plays a big role in many of the functional problems that interfere with living a happy, energetic and pain-free life.

  4. Hormonal balance
    We look at gonadal, thyroid and adrenal hormones to see which may need to be supported, replaced or tempered.

  5. Toxins
    We have recommendations on limiting exposure to environmental toxins such as plastics organophosphates and heavy metals. We also recommend protocols to help the body detoxify.

  6. Allergies
    Food and environmental allergies and sensitivities often are greatly responsible for common uncomfortable symptoms.

  7. Infections
    Bacterial, viral and fungal organisms may be important triggering factors in persistent symptoms.

No comments: